Exciting news from Skoog HQ! We are looking for a talented iOS Developer (UX / Accessibility) – Swift, Objective-C.
Job Description – Skoogmusic Ltd
Title: iOS Developer (UX / Accessibility) – Swift, Objective-C.
Salary Scale: £25,000 – £30,000 pro-rata, depending on experience
Start Date: 1st October 2017
Reports to: CTO
Location: Edinburgh, Scotland
Skoogmusic was founded in 2009. We have established ourselves as a leading innovator in the field of assistive music technology. Today, our software and hardware products make a difference to thousands of individuals and families worldwide. We create high quality products that make musical participation fun and accessible to everyone, including children and those with physical or learning disabilities.
Skoogmusic is home of the quirky Skoog cube, the world’s first huggable musical instrument, currently available to buy from Apple Stores worldwide. Inclusive and accessible, with Skoog budding musicians can create and control musical sounds, whatever their level of training, skill or dexterity.
We have a long history of innovation. In 2010, we were the first company to develop an expressive musical instrument designed especially for children with disabilities. In 2014, we released ii-Music, a musical interface for eye-gaze. In 2016 we launched Skoog 2.0 – the world’s first fully accessible wireless tactile interface for iOS. And, at WWDC17, Apple announced Skoog as an officially supported accessory for Swift Playgrounds, Apple’s educational coding app for iPad.
We are looking for a talented and creative iOS developer with serious UI/UX chops to take responsibility for the look, feel and user experience of a range of applications aimed at iOS devices. You will be focused on best interaction design practices for accessibility in all aspects of the development of simple but powerful user-centred interfaces. As a core member of the team, you will be actively engaged in the design, research, development and evaluation of existing and future iOS software products. You will be working alongside other engineers and developers working on different layers of the infrastructure. Therefore, a commitment to collaborative problem solving, sophisticated design, and the creation of quality products is essential.
- Educated to Graduate level in Interaction Design, Computer Science or other relevant discipline.
- 3+ years of user-centered design experience.
- Up to date knowledge of Apple’s design principles, accessibility best practice, human-interface guidelines, and emerging technologies.
- Internationalisation and localisation in iOS would be an advantage.
- Proficient in the use of source control using Git.
- Agile programming methodologies.
- A strong musical background in audio or sound design would be of benefit.
What will you be doing?
- UX and UI design and implementation for applications on the iOS platform.
- Ensure a high quality user experience with best-in-class accessibility features built-in.
- Run in-person and remote usability tests.
- Lead and facilitate ideation and/or strategy workshops to tackle design challenges.
- Create sketches, wireframes, and prototypes to communicate desired outcomes.
- Collaborate with a team to define, design, and ship new features.
- Identify and correct bottlenecks and fix bugs.
- Help maintain code quality, organisation and documentation.
- Keeping up to date with the latest iOS features, frameworks and APIs.
- Swift and Objective-C.
- Xcode Developer Tools and Swift Playgrounds.
- SpriteKit, SceneKit, UIKit and Storyboards for user interface design.
- iOS Accessibility APIs such as VoiceOver, Switch Control, Display Customisation.
- Adobe Photoshop and Illustrator for graphic design of UI elements.
- Full time position, minimum 35 hours per week, a pension scheme and 33 days’ holiday (23 + 10 statutory).
- Opportunities for professional development and (worldwide) travel.
- Being part of a motivated team, with a great sense of community and purpose.
- An interesting and versatile job where your personal input is appreciated and expected.
- A quirky and relaxed working environment, eclectic tunes, and great coffee.
Issue Date: Monday 28th August 2017
Closing Date: Friday 15th September 2017